Understanding CBD and Hemp Oils

Understanding CBD and Hemp Oils

CBD May Play Roles in Sleep and Appetite

Hemp’s place in society has been the subject of much scrutiny over the past century. The common misconceptions surrounding the relationship between hemp used for industrial purposes and the abuse of the drug marijuana have come about due to both plants belonging to the same plant family, cannabis. 

Firstly, it is important to note that the cannabis family is made up of three distinct types of plant:

  • Cannabis indica
  • Cannabis ruderalis 
  • Cannabis sativa. The sativa plant is the focus of this article, known as hemp plants or CBD oils. 

The cannabis family is unique in that it is the only plant species that contains the molecular compounds known as cannabinoids’. Two of these compounds are known as cannabidiol (or CBD) and  tetrahydrocannabinol, more commonly referred to as THC.

Cannabis Plants Provide Major Cell Nutrients

The three members of the cannabis family all contain both THC and CBD, however they are of greatly differing levels. THC’s role in the marijuana drug is to act as the ‘psychoactive’ and €harmful’ ingredient. Without being overly technical, CBD acts in direct contrast to THC, performing almost completely opposite functions.

The most important fact about these cannabinoids to note is that they are present in all members of the cannabis family. Whilst approximately 90% of these plants have high levels of CBD and low levels of THC (and are thus effectively harmless), it is the other 10% with inverse ratios of these cannabinoids that are considered harmful.

CBD Hemp Oils Do Not Get You High

It is the 90% of cannabis plants considered harmless that are very beneficial for commercial use, with potential to boost economic, environmental, and personal health:

The low levels of THC in these plants are effectively “blocked’ by the CBD, and smoking (or ingesting) these plants that contain around 0.3% THC will not result in any kind of  ‘high’ or harmful effects.

CBD contains phytonutrients from plants, and may also help with common symptoms of anxiety, inflammation and chronic pain. 

Leave a Reply