Traumatic brain injury can result from an external force that can cause brain damage, which can be a strong blow to the head. TBI can be blunt, in which a forceful impact has been accidentally applied to the head, whereas a penetrating trauma involves a sharp object or a bullet that creates an external wound. TBI presents varying signs and symptoms, depending on the severity of the impact and damage to the tissues. Aside from the conventional medicine, non-psychotropic phytocannabinoids like Cannabidiol CBD can be beneficial in alleviating the symptoms and in preventing further complications.
The blood vessels in the brain can be ruptured, or the tissues are damaged. Surgery, which involves stitching together the damaged layers of tissues close to the brain, can stop or minimize the bleeding. However, the damaged brain tissues need to heal as early as possible so that serious complications, such as excitotoxicity, are prevented.
Excitotoxicity is the activation of the unnecessary brain enzymes brought about by the calcium influx. Calcium in excess can cause detriment to organs, such as the kidneys, the brain, and the heart. The activation of the brain enzymes causes further damage to the nerve cells, as the calcium and other compounds enter the mitochondria of the cell and destroy it. Cannabidiol CBD significantly decreases the death of living neurons, since it has cytoprotective, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. This normalization of neurotransmitter release prevents the damaging effects of the enzymes triggered to be released.
Anti-Inflammatory Property of CBD Cannabidiol
The anti-inflammatory property of CBD Cannabidiol helps decrease the elevated intracranial pressure or the pressure around the brain, which then alleviates the pain associated with it. In a traumatic brain injury, the tissues do need to heal, but not in a damaging way (triggering certain enzymatic activities).
I care about what I put into my body. That’s why I only trust CBD from American grown hemp. Buy American. It’s good for you.
The action of CBD is mainly on the cannabinoid 2 receptors of the endocannabinoid system. CB2 receptors have effects on the immunologic function and on the brain, as well. CBD, although having effects on the brain, has no effects to the neuron, and only to the microglia. The microglial cells have a role to play in degenerative brain diseases and in traumatic brain injuries. Microglia engulfs the dead cells and other waste products in the brain. CBD’s immunosuppressive effect is beneficial, since it prevents inflammation and pain.
Research shows that CBD Cannabidiol can help strengthen the immunity, not by inducing the release of chemicals and cells of the immune system that can cause inflammation or swelling and pain, but by
Cannabidiol Research: TBI Traumatic Brain Injury
- Cannabidiol, a nonpsychoactive Cannabis constituent, protects against myocardial ischemic reperfusion injury
- Cannabidiol prevents infarction via the non-CB1 cannabinoid receptor mechanism
- Cannabidiol prevents cerebral infarction via a serotonergic 5-hydroxytryptamine1A receptor-dependent mechanism
- Cannabidiol administration after hypoxia-ischemia to newborn rats reduces long-term brain injury and restores neurobehavioral function
- Protective Effects of Cannabidiol Against Hippocampal Cell Death and Cognitive Impairment Induced by Bilateral Common Carotid Artery Occlusion in Mice
- Repeated treatment with cannabidiol but not Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol has a neuroprotective effect without the development of tolerance
Buy American CBD